With just a little bit of knowledge and some code snippets, you can do a lot with API, even as a very, very beginner. Here are some things I use the API for all the time:
- Putting today’s date in custom fields, like date of first purchase or last order
- Counters that increment when contact does something, like views a video or visits your site
- Data manipulation, like properly capitalizing first name or adding a tag
- Query data for custom reports, to write to an external database or display on a website
- Assign a contact as it comes into the database to an email split test group
- Order form or thank-you page redirects … send to a specific page based on form input
- Change opportunity stage based on web form input
- Create expiring links in campaign emails
- Upload files to the contact’s file box from a web form
- Clone an opportunity, which you cannot do without the API
This is just a small sample of the things you can do with the API. With the API, I like to say, “If you can dream it, you can do it.”
Each of these is fairly simple to do, even for a beginner, using the code building blocks in the SDK. Once you master easier things like these, you can begin linking or stringing the SDK building blocks together to solve ever bigger task or problems.
If you are like me, you will very quickly begin to wonder how you did anything in Infusionsoft without the API. It is that powerful.